Deep Dive: Clean, maintain, and treat your furniture
You don’t have to intensely clean every single piece of furniture within your four walls. But if you’re choosing the deep dive route today, you should commit to addressing a chunk of the pieces that you use and touch in the course of a regular day.
Here are some things to consider:
- Coffee table
- Accent chairs
- Accent tables and consoles (like the entryway table and TV stand)
- Dining chairs and table
- Storage furniture (dresser, wardrobe)
- Bed frame (you can skip the sheets, pillows, and mattress for today)
For each of those items, you’ll want to use this three-pass process:
- Clean: Wipe down surfaces, fronts, and legs. Vacuum the undersides and hidden crannies of your pieces. Vacuum all over your upholstered pieces, including under the cushions. Launder any slipcovers.
- Maintain: Tighten legs and handles. Spot-treat any stains. Remove pills from fabric. Address any repairs that need to be done.
- Treat: Polish wood furniture, condition leather, or apply any other semi-annual treatments your pieces require.
A Quick Win: Choose one piece of furniture to tackle.
Depending on how much time you have to dedicate to the task, choose one piece of furniture in your space to give the three-step “deep clean” treatment above. Clean, maintain, and treat that piece, as needed.